The British owners of La Ducrie (The Duke’s House), Vivienne and Joe Helling decided to share the beauty and tranquillity of their historic Normandy home by offering B&B or full board accommodation to the more discerning visitor.
They are proud to have earned a large number of very favourable reports on the respected travel web site TripAdvisor.com, and always do their utmost to ensure that guests have a truly memorable stay.
Special fully-inclusive Christmas and New Year breaks can also be tailored to suit groups of 6 or 8 persons.
Built in the 15th Century, La Ducrie is a fortified Norman castle protected by a moat now graced by ducks and black swans. The house was originally constructed for the Dauphin who became Louis XI of France. It later became the home of the Tax Collector for the St. Lô region, then in the late 15th Century it became home to a long line of French Dukes.
Today, the castle receives travellers from across the world. It is comfortably furnished with many interesting antiques and is a haven of peace and tranquillity. The perfect place to forget the stresses and strains of normal daily life.
- Stay B&B in a real Norman Castle at competitive rates
- Five comfortable rooms all with en-suite or private facilities (4 Double, 1 Twin)
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all rooms
- Special 3, 5 or 7 day Christmas and New Year breaks available for 6 to 10 persons
- Collection and delivery to/from ferry ports by arrangement
- Just 55 min”s from Cherbourg, 60 min”s Caen, 90 min”s St Malo
- 20-45 min”s from all landing beaches, 30 min”s Bayeux, 60 min”s Mont St Michel
- Quiet, rural setting with 27 acres parkland, meadows and orchards
- Leisure facilities include giant chess, boules, croquet, 800m Category 3 river frontage.
As La Ducrie is moated, we cannot accept children under 14 years of age other than by prior agreement. Young adults of 14 and older however, are openly welcomed provided they are respectful to other guests and not disruptive! Also, we must advise that the castle and its island are strictly non-smoking areas. You are however welcome to smoke in the meadows and orchards.
Although a B&B establishment, and a private home, we do offer quality 4 course evening meals to guests who wish to join us. Restaurants abound from cheap and cheerful in the village, to high-class establishments in St. Lô or the surrounding villages. We are not licensed to sell alcohol but will happily serve yours in our private bar, free of any ‘corkage” charges.
Normandy veterans and their families are especially welcome at La Ducrie. The end of May and the beginning of June are particularly busy so early booking is essential. We can arrange escorted tours of the Normandy beaches on request.
Please ask for costings Christmas and New Year are also peak times. Again, please book early to avoid disappointment by eMailing details of your accommodation requirements. We always respond as quickly as possible.
La Ducrie is for the select few, not the young and rowdy.